Sunday, March 15, 2020

Spring Break & COVID-19

Well this week started off as a normal wonderful spring break and has gotten a little crazy.  Our week started out with walks in the beautiful spring weather, working out with friends, playing at parks and hanging out with friends.  The kids have had tons of fun playing games together and enjoying the beautiful outdoors.  Wednesday was a gorgeous day.  The youth went on a temple trip up to the Oklahoma City temple.  They were got for the whole day, but had a great time. 


While the older kids were gone, I took the younger three and we went to a HUGE park - James is certain that it was the best park ever.  We all had lots of fun there!  We took sack lunches and had a nice lunch at the park before resuming the fun.  Then finally taking David home for a nap!   I tried to talk him out of a long sleeve shirt - but he wouldn't hear of changing his mind - so he was a bit hot and sweaty, but he still had a blast!




Wednesday afternoon, we had a primary activity - we taught fire safety and how to build fires, then we made s'mores and had fun playing around!  



Thursday morning, we went to the zoo with some friends.  The kids had a blast riding the merry-go-round, climbing on the elephant statues, feeding the giraffes, riding the "train" and seeing the animals.  When we got to the giraffes, I told the kids that we could feed the giraffes, if I had cash - I didn't think I did... but I had some, so the kids got to feed the giraffes.  They loved it.  The zoo is always more fun with friends and we had a great time together! 






This week the WHO declared Corona Virus or COVID-19 a pandemic.  It's hitting some areas of the world very hard and some areas of the US also.  As a result people are being told to socially distance themselves from others - basically self isolate to help prevent the rapid spread and to make sure health resources are saved for those who really need it.   This has resulted in a lot of changes in the world.  Things are shutting down.  Travel is shutting down, grocery stores are emptying out, the church has suspended all meetings and activities and even most of the temple work - only living ordinances are still available.  Schools all over the country are shutting down - so far our kids spring break has just been extended for a week - we will see if that changes in the next week.  Eileen's school will start up again as normal next week though. 

This is mostly affecting the older part of the population, so I'm very grateful that my mom is already confined to her home as she recovers from her surgery and that my dad was already off work for the week to help my mom with her recovery.  Sandi and Jon are still out of town, Sandi may have come down with it while in CA - she has been tested, but not yet received the results, but for now they are needing to quarantine themselves.   Thankfully her symptoms have been fairly mild - she is already feeling better.  My dad was actually determined to go back to travelling on a plane to heavily infected ares even though he's in the hardest hit demographic - thankfully Sandi coming down with this seems to have scared him enough to change his mind.  They are now taking this more seriously - for which I am very grateful! 

Friday evening, I headed to walmart to do our grocery shopping for the week, only to find that the shelves were picked clean.  Despite the stores doing all they could to keep stuff of the shelves - they looked like this - and other areas were even worse.  Thankfully we found most of what we needed for our weekly planned meals.  Also thankfully - we are already stocked up on toilet paper - because apparently people are going a bit crazy and stocking up before quarantine.... 


We had a fun Come Follow Me lesson where we talked about being unshaken in our faith.  Evie demonstrated how a tree is much harder to shake at it's trunk than it's branches and used that as an object lesson.  Since we didn't want to go out side in the wet, she pretended to be a tree.  David thought it was hilarious and tried to be a tree also. 


Saturday, most things were cancelled, so we slept in and had a lazy day playing games together and straightening up around the house.  In the evening, I took some meals and headed down to my parents house.  We chatted and I made a quick grocery store run for them, before heading home.  I also stopped at a couple stores down there to see if they had things ours was missing, and I was able to find the stuff so we can make our frozen burritos and refill our deep freezer a bit.  I got home and started our refried beans in the crock pot before working out, then heading to bed.  

Today was wonderful!  We had a nice quiet (or as quiet as you can get with 6 kids home all day!) Sabbath.  We held church together at the same time we usually have church, then we spent our afternoon playing games together, talking to family and cooking food.  I'm kinda looking forward to this coming week.  Dan has been working from home most of the week and will continue to do so (most likely) so we are all here together!  <3 nbsp="" p="">

No comments: