Well we started this week off with a 4th of July Pancake Breakfast that our ward puts on every year. It's put on by the cub scouts and this year Aaron got to help out - early on, he took over making the scrambled eggs - can I just say that his eggs were the BEST scrambled eggs that I've EVER had at a church function (or really any large dining place) In other words - for the first time - they weren't way over cooked and burnt. He was still getting complements on them at church today! After, we spent most of the day getting ready to leave the next morning.
Bright and early on Tuesday, we loaded up and got into the car to head to Bear Lake. We stopped for lunch at Little America, and made it to the rental cabin by mid-afternoon. We unpacked - picked rooms, and had dinner before a family home evening lesson and play with cousins. Bedtimes went out the window this week....
Wednesday we all packed into our cars and headed for the lake. We rented a Jet Ski, a lake trampoline and a couple paddle boards. Everyone had a ball - and most of us got a bit sunburned. It's been so long since I've gotten to ride a jet ski - but I LOVE them! Someday, maybe I'll have one of my own... We did lunch at the beach and stayed there for most of the day - only heading back for dinner in the evening. We had another wonderful family home evening lots of game playing and hanging out.
Thursday we played games around the cabin. I brought the left over girls camp crafts and Dan brought paint balls and grandma and grandpa brought candy covered shirts for playing human pinata. The paint balls were a little rough - some of the kid ended up with some pretty good welts - but we had set an age limit of over 12 to keep littles from getting hurt. After the older kids had fun, we let the younger kids take over and aim at targets.
This was Evie chasing one of the human pinatas - her cousin Jacob. It was so funny to watch the older boys run away and eventually get tackled and brought to the ground and mauled by little kids eager for candy. :)
In the afternoon, some of us stayed at the cabin and rested and played games (including me - i had hurt my toe on Tuesday and I was still hobbling) While the rest got to go hike up and down in some caves. I wish I'd been able to go - but I don't think I could have handled the stairs... Thursday night, we had our final FHE/Devotional. We sang songs, bore testimony and shared the love. I'm so grateful to be part of this family! I'm so grateful that my kids get to be part of this family too. Then we played a game of sardines for a bit before sending the kids to bed, while we stayed up playing a few more games and talking for a bit longer.
The next morning, exhausted and happy, we packed up, cleaned up and headed home. We stopped at Steve and Claire's along the way for a bathroom break and to let the kids see all the animals. Then we arrived at home and unloaded the car. Then Dan began his mad dash to get everything ready for High Adventure next week. Saturday was spent with Dan getting stuff ready and packed for next week, while the kids and I spent the day trying to recover from the past week. We were all glad to get to pick up Koopa Friday night and spent a lot of time playing with him.
Sunday was church - wonderful speakers and great lessons. Choir after church, yummy dinner, and playing games with Eileen and Anna in the evening. Now I'm facing a week here alone with the kids. :(






No comments:
Post a Comment