This has been a crazy busy exhausting week - but fun! Monday morning, Dan's parents arrived. James and I went to pick them up from the airport. We had to circle a couple times and each time we passed the big, blue bronco, James would yell "EWWWWW mommy, he's pooping on us!!" Anyway, we got Grandma and Grandpa and headed home to work on laundry and get them settled in. Dan came home a bit early and he and Gene went to work! James and I took them out to show them the chickens and they noticed that they chickens had laid their first egg! We made brownies with it :)
Tuesday morning, bright and early, I had a chorale thing - I went, sang and then headed home just in time to make it to Aaron's field trip! James stayed with Grandma and Grandpa and I met up with Aaron and his class at the Denver Zoo. We had a great time - I loved getting to have some time with only Aaron. We had fun hanging with the other kids and parents and checking out the animals. Aaron loved getting to feed this little bird who just loved him - the bird was so happy to just hang out with Aaron and eat his food - and ate the whole cup of food on it's own. After, Aaron and I headed home.
Gene and Dan were busy most of the week digging holes, and trenches, laying pipe and getting our sprinklers in. Connecting to the water meant digging a 5' deep hole in the front yard. Then after getting it all set up, filling in the holes and trenches and getting it to work.
The older kids were in school during the day - but James was a super duper helper. Ann and I helped the guys when they needed it and pruned plants when they didn't need us. James loved helping us pick up plant clippings, fill in holes and dig in the dirt. The chickens loved all the worms we dug up for them. The kids have been having a blast letting the chickens out to run around the back yard and scratch up dirt.
Eileen just seems to have a magic touch with animals - including our chickens.
We finally managed to get everything done (sprinkler wise) before Gene and Ann left on Friday morning, but I think all 4 of us were glad it was done - we were all exhausted! Dan and I felt a bit pathetic that we were hardly able to keep up with to (almost) 70 year olds - but we had a good time - now we just need to find time to recover...
Saturday was not a recovery day though. Dan and I still had some yard work that needed doing - I hadn't really been able to mow the lawn all week with trenches running across it, so by Saturday it was in desperate need. The afternoon was Saturday cleaning and in the evening, we had Mallory come babysit the kids, and Dan and I went out to dinner with some of the guys from Dan's work, and the (almost) fiancee of one. We went to a neat little Korean BBQ place in Denver, then came back to our house for a game of Settlers of Catan.
Church was wonderful as usual - the kids not a much so as usual - Eileen wasn't her usual self - found out later that she wasn't feeling well - and we gave her some Tylenol and sent her to bed. James really isn't a morning person and he didn't like getting woken up at 7 am - and was grumpy all morning - but then we had a nice afternoon nap. Eileen went over to Heather's house to teach her to crochet and had fun - then a yummy dinner of waffles made with our own eggs collected this week!
No comments:
Post a Comment