Sunday, January 4, 2015

And a Happy New Year

This week has been very snowy - we have tons of snow on the ground and it just seems to keep falling.  The kids have been going stir crazy not being able to play outside as much as they would like to.  I told the kids on Monday that if they would get their rooms clean and the play area clean, then I would take them to the museum.  Tuesday morning, we packed up, braved the awful roads and headed to the museum. We spent almost the whole day there - not leaving until I needed to start home to make dinner.  The kids had a blast - we saw the whales exhibit which was pretty cool - we went to the silk road exhibit which was really neat, ate lunch, played in the discovery zone and closed off with gems and minerals.  




Our New Years Eve was pretty boring - but good boring :)  We just hung out and played games and worked on a puzzle.  We toasted with sparkling cider at midnight and crashed.

Our mattress is getting old and it's been causing Dan back problems, but we can't really afford a new one (at least not a nice one like we have now) with all the stuff going on right now, so Dan has been looking for other solutions - this week he decided to build a bed frame that would give the mattress a bit more support - so far the best he can say is that it might be working....

Since Eileen turned 10, we have been letting her stay up until 9 on non-school nights.  Generally that means it only happens on Friday nights.  Dan and I have really been enjoying this time with just her.  We've been introducing her to Star Trek and teaching her some of our favorite games.  It's been really fun to have a 3rd player for those games that don't really work well with 2 players.  I think Eileen has really enjoyed feeling like a grown up and playing games with us.  That has been one of my favorite parts of this Christmas break - she's gotten to stay up playing with us every night but Saturdays (because of church) and it's been awesome!

Last night, I headed out in the snow again for an audition - our choir is helping put on a production of the Lamb of God and they were holding auditions for soloists.  I got there early, partially because i mistook the time, and partially because I had left myself a long time for getting there.  I had fun playing with Christina's little boys while her husband auditioned and we had a blast trying to scare monsters away.

This morning Dan took off for Atlanta (I think) for a quick business trip.  When I woke up a bit later, to get the kids ready for church, we noticed a paramedic fire truck outside in front of the neighbors house.  On talking to our neighbor's son, we found out that our neighbor had passed away.  It's so hard to believe - just a couple weeks ago we were dropping off Christmas cookies and talking about Christmas plans and he seemed healthy and happy.  They are such a sweet older couple and my heart aches for her and their family.

The kids weren't quite ready for an early church time - I don't think they believed me when I said that they needed to go right to bed....  They all woke up rather tired this morning.  Church was wonderful though.  A young lady talked about how God doesn't make mistakes.  It was something I need to be reminded of and it was really a wonderful meeting!

After church, my cousins who are in town for the holiday came over to play.  We mostly hung out and played games and goofed off.  Here's Aaron trying to photo bomb (which he thinks is the funniest thing in the world)  We all had a great time though and when they had to leave, I told the kids that it was time to play the "lets clean up the front room game" - Eileen told me she would rather play the "go out and get Mark and Julia to come back and play some more game"


It's hard to believe Christmas break is over and a new year is here....  Welcome to 2015!

No comments: