Sunday, January 6, 2019

Grandma Penny

This week was a bit rough.  I got a call from Dad on Tuesday that Grandma Penny had passed away.  We got things set up so that I could go out for the memorial service and to help Mom and Dad out with Grandma's things.  We couldn't afford to take the whole family, so I was the only one who went.  Evelyn was trying to convince me to take her until the last minute.  She was so cute and sweet despite how many times I explained to her that although I would love to take her, I couldn't. 

We had a fun New Year's Eve.  We took the kids to a family dance party that the ward had.  We went and danced and had fun and counted down to "fake New Years."   Then the younger kids went to bed and the rest of us watched Princess Bride while I did a puzzle. 

Thursday evening, I headed out to Utah - everything went wrong with my flights, but I finally made it into Las Vegas airport where I then got a shuttle to St. George.  It was a long evening, but I made it safely and got through a book.  :) 

Friday morning, I went to help mom out at Grandma's apartment.  We needed to get things packed up and decide what was coming back to Texas, which was going to be donated, and which things just needed to be thrown away (I love my Grandma, but I'm not wearing her old pantyhose)  Sandi arrived along with Taz, and We spent some time at the mortuary getting a few last minute details figured out. 

Saturday morning, we headed to Hurricane for the memorial service.  It was really neat getting to listen to my Dad talk about his mom.  We also got to meet up with some of her friends out in Utah.  There were really some wonderful people!  I am so glad that I got to meet them and that I had the chance to get a glimpse into her daily life in Hurricane - that wasn't a side I got to see - when we came to visit her - we were visiting her, not all her friends.  I am grateful that she had such wonderful people in her life!  Sandi and I sang "Amazing Grace" and after - the ladies gave a nice luncheon. 
We spent more time cleaning up in the afternoon and found this - the original recipe card for Pumpkin Chiffon Pie!!! 


Saturday morning, Dan took the kids to clean the church building - they had a good time and did a great job!


Sunday morning, bright and early, I flew back to Texas and arrived in time to miss Stake Conference.  We did get to start the Come Follow Me manual though and so far, it's been WONDERFUL!  I'm so grateful for an inspired prophet that helps learn how to better teach our children the things that are most important!  

No comments: