Thursday, February 28, 2008

Mommy Moment


So today Eileen picked out "The Giving Tree" for her pre-nap-time story. So I went and sat down with the girls and began reading. Now let me say that I haven't read this book in quite awhile, in fact I haven't read it since becoming a mother, and let me tell you it sure opened the flood gates!! I would get to where I couldn't talk for the tears, and she would look at me kinda funny, and say "mommy, there are words there, you can read them!" followed by "go ahead mommy, you can read it" But reading the story was such a beautiful reminder to me of what it means to be a parent and how just when we think we have given all we can give, there will always be something left that we can give, something that they need. And even if it doesn't seem like much, it's enough. So if this wasn't enough, each time I read the part where it says "And the tree was happy" Eileen (being in her 'why' stage) would ask "why was the tree happy?" And I would get all teary telling her that it made the tree happy to be able to help the boy because she loved the boy, just like mommy loves her and loves to make her happy. And just the way Heavenly Father loves us and wants us to be happy. AHHHHH life is good. :)

3 comments:

LoriT said...

What a sweet blog entry! A dear friend gave this book to me before I had my first child. I remember reading it, but I must say that it didn't have a very powerful impact. Now, eight years later and a mother of two, as I read your posting, I have very different emotions as I recall the book's message. I am going to rummage through my bookshelves right now and read the book to Vivi.

So many days, I struggle with the sacrifices of motherhood. Thank you for helping me remember that the joys eventually far outweigh the sorrows.

Melissa C. said...

I was inspired by this to get out my copy (which hasn't been read since before I had kids). I had Isaac read it this morning. He was so concerned for the tree and really had a hard time understanding why the tree would be willing to get cut down. It was a good "teaching moment". :)

Aunt Tina said...

When you meet and marry your husband, you think "Wow, I will never love anyone more than I love you", and then you have children and know that's not true:)

You're an AWESOME Mommy, dear!